The United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT) was newly established on June 15, 2017 to provide to strategy, leadership, and formal advice on the impact of terrorism on the current and future state of the world. These views are also ensured to be carried out within all work of the United Nations.
Initially created in the Department of Political Affairs under the names Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force and the UN Counter-Terrorism Center, it was expanded into a larger office under the suggestion of Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in the report the Capability of the United Nations to Assist Member-States in Implementing the United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy.
The main functions of UNOCT include;
- Provide leadership on General Assembly mandates concerning counter-terrorism.
- Enhance cooperation and compliance with member-states involved in Counter-Terrorism task forces in accordance with the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy.
- Strengthen assistance in counter-terrorism with member-states.
- Improve advocacy and resource mobilization of efforts of United Nations counter-terrorism efforts.
- Ensure the prioritization of counter-terrorism efforts across the United Nations system and the violent extremism prevention is firmly within code of United Nations approved strategy.
As one of the newest committees to the United Nations, UNOCT looks forward to creating diplomatic, peaceful, and innovative strategic plans to battling the current swarm of terrorism rocking the world. This includes, but is certainly not limited to, the terrorism and radical extremism in the Middle East and North Africa region involving the Islamic State of Iran and the Levant, Boko Haram, and other like organizations.
Working closely with member-states and the Security Council, UNOCT aims to pioneer global methods of action to preventing future acts of terrorism among the international community.
- Statute and Basic Information: http://www.un.org/en/ counterterrorism/index.shtml
- Counter-Terrorism Implementation Task Force: https://www.un.org/ counterterrorism/ctitf/en/structure
UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy: https://www.un.org/ counterterrorism/ctitf/un- global-counter-terrorism- strategy
Past and Current Actions
- Plan of Action to Prevent Violent Extremism Report: http://www.un.org/en/ga/ search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/ 70/674
- Key Documents on Foreign Terrorist Fighters: http://www.un.org/en/sc/ctc/ resources/index.html#ftf_ documents
- Report on Activities of the UN system in implementing the Counter-Terrorism Strategy: http://www.un.org/en/ counterterrorism/index.shtml
- UN General Assembly Resolutions: http://www.un.org/apps/news/ infocus/terrorism/ga_resolution.asp
UN Security Council Resolutions: https://www.un.org/ counterterrorism/ctitf/en/ resolutions
Good to Know
- Global Terrorism Index Report 2016 http://economicsandpeace.org/ wp-content/uploads/2016/11/ Global-Terrorism-Index-2016.2. pdf
- Victims of Terrorism: https://www.un.org/ victimsofterrorism/en